Transitioning Back to School

Home Our Services Burn Care Transitioning Back to School

Transitioning Back to School

The Ranken Jordan team is by your side to help your child transition back to school. The team includes child life specialists and educational liaisons.

Partner with a child life specialist

Ranken Jordan child life specialists work closely with families and schools to develop a plan for your child to go back to school. That may include creating a presentation for the child to give to the whole school, the classroom or the teacher so the child doesn’t have to repeatedly answer questions about what happened, physical injuries, or other details.


A child life specialist is typically available to go with the child for the presentation to offer added confidence or to answer other questions in an age-appropriate way.

Support through our education liaison

Our education liaison serves as the link between our medical team, your child and the school to help families navigate next steps and ensure a smoother transition back to school. We provide school with information about your child’s diagnosis and to help your child obtain the appropriate education support, services and resources.


Our education liaisons break down barriers and help you understand the accommodations that can be made by the school so your child can attend or receive services they need to continue their important education.


By partnering with education liaisons, parents feel more confident about their ability to work with the school and to help their child.

Learn about education options

Students whose burns adversely affect their educational performance may benefit from special education under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). To qualify under IDEA, a student must meet eligibility criteria in one of 13 specific disability categories.


Under IDEA, a student with a disability is entitled to a free appropriate public education (FAPE) and an individualized education program, including individual goals, objectives, related services, accommodations and modifications.


Students who don’t qualify for services under IDEA may qualify under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. To qualify under Section 504, a student must have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities (such as learning, breathing, thinking, concentrating, walking, bodily functions). Under Section 504, a student is entitled to equal opportunity, and may qualify for a Section 504 plan that provides regular or special education and related aids and services.


A student with a health condition who doesn’t require special instruction and related services can receive, as appropriate, a wide range of supports in the general education classroom. These include accommodations, individualized health plans (IHP), emergency care plans (ECP) and local education agency supports.


The following educational accommodations may be available to your child during recovery:


Our education liaison can work with your school district’s Special Education Department to discuss your child’s rights and the accommodations you need.


The accommodations and the steps to arrange them may differ from school to school. Your child may need less help as they get stronger and move more easily.